Sunday, December 20, 2009

Michigan or California which state is better to pursue a film career?

I have lived in Detroit, Michigan for 30 years of my life. I graduated from Wayne State University with a BA in Media Arts and Film Studies, my first job out of college was (kid you not) clerk at an adult book store. This was not the career I went to school for. Five years after getting my BA I landed a full-time job with benefits and I hated it. I've worked with people who have been there since the 90's I'm think to myself that could be my future. With student loans and financial obligations there was not a way for me to pick up and relocate to Los Angeles... well I got laid off from my job...the lord works in mysterious ways; I took that opportunity to move to California. Having been here in Hollywood for a year now. It is a bad time to be in the biz because of the economic down turn things arent that great in Tinsel Town. As an independent filmmaker I'm all for stepping outside the Hollywood system to do your thing but lets keep it real Hollywood has been around for a LONG TIME and isnt going away anytime soon. In theory Detroit has potential but it is a hard place to leave if your planted there which brings me to my question, inlight of the new tax incentives inacted to draw filmmakers to film in Michigan which have worked but has not been the revolution everyone in the state was hoping do you think Michigan is a better place to pursue a career in film as opposed to California?

And what is the downside to living in California?
-Over crowded
-Smog
-Hard to find work
-Attitudes
-Expensive
-Hard for outsiders to become insiders
-Gangs
-Racism
-LAPD

Michigan
-Lack of jobs
-cold
-Pot holes
-Boring
-Crime
-Guns
-Overcast
-Car is King

No comments: